But what about you and your child? My girls absolutely BEG us for "Daddy Dates" and "Mommy Dates". So we took out our calendar and made it happen! Every month, each child has a Daddy or Mommy Date. We give each child a budget of $10 and they get to plan an activity for their "date".
Start young! It's NEVER too early to establish a habit of spending one-on-one quality time with your children. Open communication with your children when they are young leads to open communication with your children when they are older. Don't wait until your children are teens to try and have meaningful conversations. Children of ALL ages have important things to talk about with you!
On our dates with our children, we keep the conversation child-focused. Here are some example questions that we might ask during our date:
1. Are you happy? Why? If not, what are you feeling?
2. Who are your friends? Why are they good friends for you?
3. What is going well for you in school? Is there anything that you are struggling with at school? If so, how can I help?
4. What do you like about your siblings? Do you have any concerns or issues with your siblings?
5. How am I doing as a mother/father? What do you like that I do? What can I do better as a mom/dad?
6. What would you like to accomplish in your life in the next month? How can I help you reach your goals?